Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Catching up

I haven't blogged for a couple of days so this is a bit of a catch-up with what's been happening.

After the Drs round on Monday morning Joe was considered ready to come off his ventilator and onto cpap. Yay! During the day another baby came in, so despite me hanging around and being on tenterhooks all day waiting for the big moment, it didn't happen in the end until after I had left in the evening. Unfortunately he really struggled and only last for seven hours before needing his vent tube replaced again.

Yesterday his ventilator settings were quite high while he recovered and he had quite a few apneas and bradycardias, where he stopped breathing and his heart rate slowed. The doctors decided he needed a new tube placed, so they tried him again on cpap as the tube was being removed anyway and they hoped he'd tolerate it better second time round. He didn't cope well but due to the frequent tube changes and long duration of being ventilated so far, his windpipe has swollen so they had to put a smaller tube down. The drs explained that this doesn't ventilate him as well as a bigger tube, so he is now on steroids again to hopefully reduce the swelling and either try him again on cpap, or more likely enable them to place a larger sized tube.

Today he had a few episodes of desaturating and not breathing but his nurse has been watching him carefully. He has been on minimal handling so he has been allowed to rest as much as possible. In the two hours since I left he hasn't had any more episodes which is reassuring so fingers crossed he'll be getting better soon.

Harry is still on his cpap, so its three days and counting! He is being such a star, and seems to be coping really well. He is now laying on a gel pillow to help his head shape, as both babies now have classic premature baby head shapes. Where they spend a lot of time either on their sides of laying on their tummy they are looking quite flat-headed so the gel pillow helps to support them. Joe can't have a pillow yet until he is off his ventilator.

Today Harry had his first eye exam to check for ROP (Retinopathy Of Prematurity). This is a disease that ocurs in some premature babies caused by the growth of abnormal blood vessels which can lead to blindness if left untreated. I've been quite worried about this test as I knew it was looming and have heard how awful and traumatic it is for the baby to go through. I was present while he had it done and I have to say it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. The dr used numbing drops and tiny little clamps to hold his eyes open and it was all over in the blink of an eye (ha ha!) Harry's eyes show nothing yet to be concerned about, but he will be rechecked every week or two weeks until he is discharged. Joe was too unstable today to have his eyes looked at.

Yesterday I had my first proper cuddle with Harry. A pic is coming up, as soon as I have downloaded it. He tolerated it really well after a bit of a shaky start.

Harry's morphine has now been stopped completely, as were his diuretics. I think he is starting to look a bit puffy again but the drs insist he is just growing and looking fatter. I'm his mum and I know him, so we shall see in a day or two if I am right. (Which I will be.)

The babies had another visitor today. Uncle Stevie came to see them and agrees they are tiny, perfect little people. It was lovely to see you, thank you for coming.

I have an adorable video of Harry hiccupping which I want to put on here but I can't remember how to get it off my phone. He is so cute and so LOUD that everyone could hear him. I'll keep working on how to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Joe is more settled now.

    Lovely to hear how they are improving. Tiny little steps are just as good as a great leap.

    Keep it up, lads.