Wednesday 21 July 2010

Can't think of a witty title, sorry

Harry is now back to his usual self and fighting fit. He still sounds a little wheezy now and again but is eating normally and is happy and smiley.

Today I took both babies to the baby clinic to be weighed. The good news is that they are bothing gaining weight nicely and are just under 11 lbs. The bad news is that I didn't really appreciate until today just how delayed Joe and Harry are. Seeing other babies who are reaching their milestones normally, and who move normally brought it home just how far behind they are. I know I shouldn't compare. I know my babies have come a long way. I just wish that everything in life wasn't such a struggle for them. Other babies much younger than them were sucking on their hands, and lifting their legs and feet in the air and trying to roll. My babies, although they move all their limbs, for the most part just lay still and gaze around. I'm hoping that they are just chilled out but secretly think there is a bigger issue there that will need to be addressed soon.

Next week we are supposed to be starting weaning as they will be six months. For most things, we use their adjusted age, which is nine weeks, but we are supposed to begin solids at six months actual age, in line with other babies born at term. There is just no way they are ready. They can't support their bodies yet and can only hold their heads up reliably for a minute or so at a time. There is probably a good reason why they should be started sooner rather than later but it just seems wrong to me to force food into their mouths when their bodies are telling me they aren't ready yet. I'm thinking weaning at six months has something to do with preventing an oral aversion to food and textures if it is done any later, or maybe it's something to do with the body's iron stores being depleted by six months, but I have asked the Health Visitor to query with a dietician the best way to approach it. At the end of the day, I just want to do what is best for the little people even if it goes against my natural instincts.

Today the babies went into cloth nappies for the first time. I've been umming and awwing over whether or not I could be bothered with the extra work, but a great deal came up on Ebay that I couldn't refuse. They arrived today and mmmmmm, they smell so good and feel so soft! The initial expense is immense but so long as I persevere (famous last words - I'm not known for my endurance!) it will be worth it. Cute pics of fluffy nappies (and babies) coming up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment